Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Bike Rides

So first off, I have sorted out my cafeteria problems, and can happily tell everyone that if you come here, you can have a quite delicious meal for less than a dollar and not the 95RMB as I had feared (turns out that was the amount left on my card--- feel free to call me a name here). I thought I would show you what/where I had for lunch today, very tasty. I may have mentioned earlier that I bought a bike and am having just a magnificent time zooming around town in the mad mad Chinese traffic. Hangzhou's West Lake is one of China's biggest indigenous tourist attractions (by that I mean attraction for Chinese). It is really beautiful. There are something like 15 traditional scenic spots around the lake, which has been shaped and landscaped for hundreds of years now, and each position has an interest name like, "Orioles Singing in the Willows," or "Wind Riffled Lotus Leaves," etc. In fact, there are countless beauty spots, pagodas, temples, famuos residences, foot bridges, and more. On the other side of the lake from the city are these awesome pointy, misty hills, and tea plantations. Longjing tea is supposed to be the best in the world and comes from this area. Anyway, here are more sights from my bike rides. I figure I will get some of these touristy things out of the way as I get to know the area, and then later we will get to know the real insider stuff together.
cafeteria
cool doors
lotus flower (sorry it got kind of hidden)- there are men here who carry baskets that dangle from poles strung across their backs containing strange looking green fruit, which I finally recognized today as lotus- see above on the right side)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying the pictures and stories. Keep it up!

Tim


word verification:
nzome
an urban gnome