Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Shanghai-ed in Shanghai

There are some setbacks to getting so much attention here in Shanghai. I was very amused this moring as the old lady walking beside me kept looking up and smiling at me, like I was some kind of friendly giant. On the other hand, being immediately identified as a foreigner means that lots of people associate me with money. Unfortunately, even in China the dollar is not going as far as it probably once was. What really pisses me off however, is that in two separate situations now, I have simply been left the check after visiting a restaurant or coffee-shop at the invitation of a local. This last time particularly stung. The very friendly English teacher just wanted to practise his English, I thought. He takes me to a nice restaurant for coffee. I told him I did not want any snacks, and so paid no notice when he ordered some (I presumed for himself). After coffee, he suggested wine to celebrate our new friendship. OK, I thought, until he said, "Thankyou." "Thankyou? I thought you were paying?" Then he says he'll pay for one thing and I the rest. I told him no, we split it. Then when chen comes, he comes up short. WAY short. And theck check is not so small, either- I have never paid $7 for coffee in America, let alone all the other charges. Gonna have to get smarter and maybe a little meaner quickly here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of which, I too would like to invite you to coffee and expensive wine when you get back to the states. heh heh.

Anonymous said...

Dave Kurt wasn't born yesterday peoples. He will have his revenge!

Mark said...

My name is mark. I am currently writing my thesis at scad.
I have enjoyed reading and seeing what you are going throuh in china.
Please tell more about what you will be doing. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Ha, I thought you'd be used to it by now considering all those pitchers you used to buy us at Hangfire!